Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The What, Why, How, Purpose,and Meaning of Prayer: Part 4

Matthew 7:7-11: "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!"

If this were a sermon it would be entitled "Spoiled Children.." But I'm not going to explain that statement just yet. So, prayer. I was thinking today about my freshman year of college because I am now a SENIOR IN COLLEGE. Which is nuts. I'm going to be graduating in one year. Just one. It's crazy. But anyways, I was thinking back to my freshman year when my mom, who missed her first born son very very very very much, would do anything for me. I mean she missed me so much that every time I even attempted to make contact with her through e-mail or a phone call, it would be the highlight of her day. And when I came home to visit, I'm pretty sure her heart melted. I could get anything when I was home. My mom and dad always had my favorite dessert waiting for me as well as every meal planned out according to my food preferences. And when I left, yes, there were tears and much, probably too much, hugging. But that's the way my mom was. I could ask her for anything and she would give it to me. You name it, I could get it. She loved to spoil me.

And I think that our Heavenly Father is the same way. I want to be careful though to not diminish the majesty, splendor, and bigness of God but I really think that God loves to spoil His children. In fact, it even says so in the Bible! Raw, I know. Jesus says in His famous Sermon on the Mount, which by the way is revered by most to be one of the most insightful, divine compilation of words and ideas ever conceived, that those who ask will receive and a door will be opened for those who knock. And the crazy part about this teaching is that our Abba Father delights in giving us gifts. Think about that. The Creator of the Universe who created the galaxies that burn brighter, spin faster, and declare His glory more than we can even begin to comprehend loves and becomes joyful when He answers our simple little prayers.

Crazy huh? Our God actually enjoys answering our prayers and giving us good gifts. And if you think you've gotten a some good Christmas gifts, they're nothing compared to the gifts God gives us as His children. And believe me, God does answer prayers but the thing is, the answer is sometimes "No" or "Maybe later" or "Not right now." But those times when you actually pray for something legitimate and with the right motives and something that falls within the will of God, oh man, God loves it. Again not diminish His majesty, but I could just picture God sitting on His throne smiling, nodding His head, maybe doing a subtle fist pump while saying "Atta boy or Atta girl, I would absolutely love to give you that gift." God loves to spoil His children. As much joy as we may feel when we receive a good gift from God, I can imagine He gets more.

That was really brief but chew on that for a little while. What a God we have! What a Savior we have been given! WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment